IRCTC set to revamp AC-III Tier Train Coaches with GPS, CCTV & many more items
The IRCTC has announced that it will be upgrading AC-III tier coaches which will be rolled out in the middle of November and will have a revamped look! As per a massive transformation unleashed by Indian Railways, AC coaches would be now made world-class and passenger friendly.
The new AC-III tier compartment is said to be equipped with a slew of changes, including CCTV cameras in each aisle, an attractive signature color scheme along with televisions and a tea, and coffee vending machine in each coach along with GPS based passenger information above each door and an automated room dispenser.
According to reports, Indian Railways has decided to kick start this modernization drive from AC 3 coaches of Humsafar Express series of trains; the first of which would be flagged off between Delhi and Gorakhpur soon.
Interestingly, all the new coaches would be manufactured at The Rail Coach Factory in Rae Bareli, Uttar Pradesh. Earlier, it was speculated that they would be imported. To begin with, four trains will have these additional services. A set of coaches for a fifth train is in production and will be rolled out later.
Here are the new features which would be incorporated across all AC 3 coaches of Hamsafar Express series of trains in the coming days:
Above each door of the coach, there would be a GPS based passenger information box, which would be automatically updated as per the journey route. Hence, paper charts would be now abolished, which used to cause much distress and confusion.
– A GPS-based passenger information system above each door.
– An airline-like light/glowing bar with numbers indicating upper, lower and middle berths, which will replace the stenciled numbering on the walls.
– Gel coating in the toilet walls to make them “graffiti proof”.
– Curtains for side berths as well as in the aisles, which are currently available in higher classes only.
– Inside the coaches, automatic room freshener dispensers would be installed, besides fire and smoke detectors. Hence, no more smoking inside the washrooms from now on.
– All coaches will have tea and coffee vending machines from now on. Hence, the business of tea/coffee vendors at platforms can get affected.
– The small gap between two side-berths has been finally removed. This design of the small gap had bothered rail designers since decades. This change has been incorporated in the 5th train, and all the above changes have been executed in 4 Humsafar trains mainly.
Some other major changes which Indian Rail have recently implemented for improvising includes:
– Water ATMs at all railway stations, where passengers can get water by paying Re.1 to Rs.5
– I paisa insurance for all rail passengers, which was hailed as World’s cheapest insurance policy
– Plans to modernize 100 terabytes of passenger data
– Partnership with Uber for ferrying passengers from/to railway stations
– Joining UPI platform for easy payments via mobile
– Partnership with DRDO for providing high quality foods during travel
It seems that the drab look of AC coaches could soon be a thing of the past!!