INRDeals Guide to shop and get online stuff from US to India
Shopping season is here again in India, though yet not in USA. Online Festive season in USA will be starting in the mid of November.
Most of the Indians love buying stuff like gadgets, branded apparels, perfumes and other stuff from USA. Mostly gadgets or electronic items are preferred, like when there is a new mobile phone released that is only available in the US. But it is not possible for everyone to go there and buy the stuff from there. As per the latest trends in India, online shopping has become quite popular over last couple of years now. Though we can get all types of gadgets and branded things from online shopping sites in India; still there are some people out there who prefer getting some items exclusively from US.
Common questions arise in their minds:
- When to buy?
- How to buy stuff online from US?
- How to ship the items to India?
Here are our detailed answers to the questions mentioned above:
Best time to buy stuff online from US:
In the US, Black Friday and Cyber Monday sales are a great way to pick up deals this season. Black Friday is traditional American holiday and it will happen on Friday 25 November 2016 and Cyber Monday, like Black Friday, was born as a by-product of America's Thanksgiving holiday and it will take place on November 28th this year. Some other important events to look forward for shopping are Christmas and New Year Eve.
You can pick up the deals during these events from popular online shopping sites and you can do this in India too if you're using a package forwarding service. There is some famous package forwarding service in US like DHL, FedEx, Borderlinx, shop and ship etc. that operates in almost every country in the world. Here’s why and how you get your products shipped to your destination India:
- First of all sign up in any of the packaging services and provide all required details.
- What this lets you do is get a local shipping address in the US, UK etc. - and order stuff to be delivered there even though you're not a US resident.
- You can order multiple items from multiple online stores in the US and when they arrive, you're notified. These items can be combined into a single shipment that saves you money, includes customs costs, and comes with trackable delivery. This works out less than what online shopping sites charges for overseas shipping. Especially when different orders are combined. You may be charged around $10/lb. (669 INR) by Shop & Ship and if you want to go for premium delivery as offered by DHL you may be charged around $45/lb. (3011 INR)
In case you don't want to go through the hassle of setting up package forwarding, and are worried about the safety of high-cost items on free-shipping sites, there are some more alternatives.
Big sites like Amazon and eBay ship their global products to India (for a price) and so do a few other sites. There are some international sites that let you order with free shipping but there aren't too many trusted options, and some don't let you track your packages either.
When you are willing to pay for shipping, you get to choose from a wide variety of well-known retailers. But the cost of shipping, especially from the US, can be higher than the cost of the product itself. Then there are import duties on most products, which will push up the cost even further. This might reduce the total value of the deals, but sometimes it's still the best option, particularly if you want to buy a product that isn't available here.
These are some sites we recommend:
Several international websites will be offering great deals on gadgets for Black Friday and Cyber Monday. Here are some of the most popular ones that offer shipping to India:
Here's a list of websites for non-gadget deals. All of these ship stuff to India.
- Overstock: They stock furniture, jewelry, perfumes, pet supplies and even books.
- Macy's: If you are looking to buy clothes from the US, Macy's might interest you. You get high quality winter wear in the US, so if you have your eye on a nice pair of boots or a jacket you can get it via Macy's.
- B&H Photo Video: If you want any photography related equipment, you might want to check out B&H Photo Video. They stock all kinds of equipment for stills, audio and video recording. They have a much wider range than many sellers in India offer.
To summarize, you need to consider the cost of shipping, custom duties incurred and the USD conversion rate before deciding to order any product from US. Don't forget to check whether the seller is reliable.